Donald replied

211 weeks ago

Well all,

Looks like Googles coming to take over. I see they offer domain registration now and they also offer website creator with free webhosting on googlepages.com. Looks like we got some new compitition coming very soon.

PARKER replied

211 weeks ago

yahoo hosting is of very poor quality, they say, though never tried. Godaddy I agree, but they are not as hige as google is. The main question will the google provide paid web hosting and will there be any kind of appropriate technical support?

landsideicy replied

211 weeks ago

Definitely see this for newbies. At least at the present. If they add things like a good control panel, ability to install your own scripts, databases, etc… then yes, unless we have a very specific niche market and loyal customers, it's going to be hard to compete. Staying in this business gets harder everyday with all the overselling going on. And for Google, it won't be overselling. They have all that space/bandwidth at their fingertips.

PRICE replied

211 weeks ago

Google hosting will only be directly competitive against the "low cost" hosts like midphase, 1and1, lunarpages, etc…Google will not be competition against niche market hosts, or premium host providers. In fact, I hope google quickly enters the market, because it will help more consumers realize that they need better hosting… and that means more business for us. :)

WILSON replied

211 weeks ago

Naaaah. If google entered the hosting market, they would no doubt take a large chunk of whatever section of the market they entered. But the hosting industry has so many sections, that they can't cover all those market sections. They will no doubt offer a simple product for the masses, and won't effect those hosts offerring targetted services etc. They also might increase awareness of what web hosting actually is. I would guess that 95% of the general public wouldn't have a clue what web hosting is.

thomas L charles replied

211 weeks ago

I can see them moving further into enterprise search, through their current hardware appliance sales. But that's very tight nice. If they were to go into google web hosting, my bet would be to provide technology that delves further into automation and efficiency.

landsideicy replied

211 weeks ago

In order to have entered the "market" you need to offer paid hosting solutions which satisfy customer needs. As they currently do not (that I'm aware of) offer these types of services, they're not "in the market". Oh sure, they offer free web hosting, but it's only on their terms, no uploads (again from what I saw), very very bad things there. Of course, I could be wrong, and they MAY start offering php / sql / paid hosting but I doubt that'll happen soon.

Donald replied

211 weeks ago

Google does, in fact charge for services to a degree. There are a few services which you can only get to as a paid subscriber. I ran across one of them the other ay, though for the life of me I can't figure out what it is/was.

Personally, I see this like another geocities/yahoo/insertfreewebhosthere. No real hosting provided, lots of limitations, and hey, let's not give out access to essential services (ftp, mysql, php, cgi). Kind of sucks from that respect.

PARKER replied

211 weeks ago

Web Hosting can still work well for you especially if you're on higher scale plans. Looking at GoDaddy business plans the cheapest offers 2GB RAM and 1CPU, which is relatively standard for any bogstandard web hosting plan now days. You'd probably be best starting with a new provider which can offer you more resources, there are lots that offer enterprise grade hosting now with better resource limits.
Please log in to post a reply.